Twilio Free Trial projects have some restrictions to how they can be used. This guide lists the important limitations you may run up against when testing your Twilio Application. For additional help setting up your trial project, see How Does Twilio's Free Trial Work.
Notice: Free trial projects are given a small balance for limited testing. Upgrading your project removes these trial limitations, and any remaining free trial balance. The beginning balance on an upgraded project will be limited to the amount funded while upgrading, or the amount of a promo code used to upgrade.
- Phone Numbers
- Programmable Messaging
- Programmable Voice
- Elastic SIP Trunking
- Programmable Video
- Verify and Authy
- Test Credentials
- We only allow one Twilio number per trial project. To get a different phone number than the one Twilio assigned you automatically, you need to release the current number you have on the Numbers page first.
- Phone numbers in Beta are made available to trial projects. Check out this article on international numbers and their capabilities to find out which numbers are currently in Beta.
- If you upgrade your project, your trial number will be carried over and charged monthly according to current Voice or SMS rates.
- If your phone number is unused in your trial project for more than 30 days, it may be removed, as we unfortunately do not have an unlimited supply of phone numbers. That said, after returning to your Trial project you can purchase a new phone number at any time and start using your new number right away. Otherwise, if you are particularly attached to a phone number, you can upgrade your project by simply adding your credit card.
Notice: Trial project phone number selection may be limited. You must upgrade your Twilio project to provision more than one phone number, or to provision a number that is not available to trial projects.
- Outbound messages and <Message> TwiML replies can only be sent to a validated phone number. Before attempting to send or reply to messages, be sure to verify the number. Some high cost and premium access numbers aren't reachable by default; for help enabling messages to a desired country, please see our Global SMS on Trial Accounts article.
- You will be able to send SMS from your SMS-enabled Twilio phone number, but not from your verified personal number. This rule also applies after the trial.
- When you send an SMS from your free trial phone number, it will begin with “Sent from a Twilio Trial account”. This message will be removed once your project has been upgraded.
- Alphanumeric Sender IDs cannot be used with trial projects.
- Trial projects cannot send SMS to other Twilio projects. This limitation goes away when you upgrade your project.
- Outbound trial calls can only be placed to a validated phone number. Before attempting to place an outbound call, be sure to verify the number.
- Some high cost and premium access numbers aren't reachable by default; for help enabling calling to countries outside of the US and Canada, please see our Geographic Permissions article.
- Calls to and from your free trial phone number will play a short trial message before your TwiML is executed.
- Trial projects can only use your project's Twilio number, or a verified caller-ID, as the caller-ID (From number) when making outgoing calls.
- Outbound trial calls are limited to 10 minutes.
- Incoming calls on a trial project can't be recorded unless they're forwarded elsewhere with a <Dial> TwiML command with the
- A maximum of 5 total inbound and/or outbound concurrent calls are possible. When 5 calls are active, any further requests will be rejected with the response
Error 10004: Call concurrency limit exceeded for account.
Elastic SIP Trunking
- You can fully configure an Elastic SIP Trunk for testing and placing actual calls to and from your business.
- Outbound trial calls can only be placed to a validated phone number. Before attempting to place an outbound call, be sure to verify the number. Phone numbers from 218 countries can be verified and reached on a trial project; for help enabling calls to a desired country, please see our Geographic Permissions article.
- Trial projects are limited to a maximum of 1 Elastic SIP Trunk.
- Trial projects are limited to a maximum of 1 Phone Number.
- Trial SIP trunks can only be used to place calls using your project's Twilio number, or a Verified Caller-ID, as the Caller-ID/From number for all calls.
- Calls to and from your free trial phone number will play a short trial message before connecting the parties.
- A maximum of 4 total inbound and/or outbound concurrent calls are possible. When 4 calls are active, any further requests will be rejected.
There are currently no specific restrictions for video.
Verify (v1) and Authy
- Maximum of 1 new application created per month.
- Maximum of 1 new Authy user added per month.
- Maximum of 10 Authy API user status queries per day.
- Maximum of 25 Calls made per day via the Authy or Verify API endpoints.
- Maximum of 35 SMS sent per day via the Authy or Verify API endpoints.
- Maximum of 100 Calls and SMS per month via the Authy or Verify API endpoints.
Each Twilio project has a set of test credentials that can be used with specifically programmed numbers to freely test application flows for purchasing phone numbers, sending SMS, and placing calls. For full details, see Test Credentials (Twilio Docs).