Twilio offers a trial to all customers who sign up, which includes a free balance for you to experiment with. When your balance is getting low, Twilio will send you an email with information to upgrade your project.
Getting your Twilio trial going is an easy 5-step process. Below is a quick primer on setting up your trial number and some important development tips to make sure you build something amazing with Twilio.
1. When you sign up for a your free Twilio Trial, you’ll be asked to verify your personal phone number. This is an important security step that is mandatory to trying Twilio.
2. If you plan to use us for voice and messaging, please head here to get your first Twilio phone number after verification.
3. A shiny new Twilio number will be generated with its capabilities (Voice, SMS, or MMS) below it.
4. If the number doesn’t have the capabilities you are looking for (some numbers do not have all three capabilities), you can click the “Search for a different number” link to find a number that better suits your needs by the country or capabilities.
5. Once you have chosen your number, you’re all set!
6. Each trial project comes with a small pre-loaded balance to test out the functionality of Twilio. When this balance is running low, we'll send you an email to let you know it's time to upgrade.
These tips are very important to get the most out of your Twilio trial!
- We only allow one Twilio number per trial project. To get a different phone number than the one Twilio assigned you automatically, you need to release the current number you have on the Numbers page first.
- Phone numbers in Beta are made available to trial projects. Check out this article on international numbers and their capabilities to find out which numbers are currently in Beta.
- If you upgrade your project, your trial number will be carried over and charged monthly according to current Voice or SMS rates.
- If your phone number is unused in your trial project for more than 30 days, we will have to remove it from your trial project. As you might imagine, we unfortunately do not have an unlimited supply of phone numbers for trial projects. However, if you decide to return to your trial project, you can always buy a new phone number at any time and start using your new number, or if you are particularly attached to a phone number, you can always upgrade your project simply by adding your credit card.
- Be sure to verify any non-Twilio phone number before sending or receiving any SMS messages to/from it.
- You will be able to send SMS from your Twilio SMS enabled number, but not from your verified personal number. This rule will also apply after the trial.
- Alphanumeric Sender IDs cannot be used with trial projects.
- When you send an SMS from your free trial phone number, it will begin with “Sent from a Twilio Trial account”. This message will be removed once your project has been upgraded.
- You may be eligible to use Global SMS on your trial project. Find out more here.
- Before attempting to call be sure to verify any non-Twilio phone number by having Twilio place a verification call to it. This is an extra security measure that we remove once you’re calling from an upgraded project.
- There are a limited number of countries your Twilio project can make calls to. Upgraded projects have the ability to enable permissions to call almost any country from your Twilio app.
- Trial projects can only use either your project's Twilio number, or a Verified Caller-ID, as the Caller-ID/From number when making outgoing calls.
- Calls to and from your free trial phone number will play a short trial message before your TwiML runs.
- Calls are limited to 10 minutes.
Elastic SIP Trunking
- You can fully configure an Elastic SIP Trunk for testing and placing actual calls to and from your business.
- Trial projects are limited to a maximum of 1 Outbound SIP Trunk.
- Trial projects are limited to a maximum of 1 Incoming Phone Number.
- Trial projects can only use either your project’s Twilio number, or a Verified Caller-ID, as the Caller-ID/From number for Termination calls.
- There are currently no specific restrictions for video.
To start using your Twilio phone number without these restrictions, just upgrade your project.
If you are using Twilio’s Sandbox, read our FAQ on the restrictions of the old Sandbox.