Notice: Shutdown of Unregistered 10DLC Messaging
• Effective September 1st, 2023, all SMS and MMS messages sent to U.S. phone numbers using +1 10DLC phone numbers must be sent via an approved application-to-person (A2P) campaign.
• Messages sent to the U.S. using unregistered +1 10DLC numbers will be blocked.
• Blocked messages will return error code 30034, “US A2P 10DLC - Message from an Unregistered Number”(Twilio messaging rates will still apply, even for blocked messages).
• Please register your +1 10DLC numbers as soon as possible to avoid the impact. You may learn more about this from the Twilio website, and register via the Twilio Console or APIs.
What is A2P 10DLC?
A2P 10DLC refers to a system in the United States that allows businesses to send Application-to-Person (A2P) type messaging via standard 10-digit long code (10DLC) phone numbers. This system is specific to long code messaging toward the United States, and does not affect short codes or Toll-Free numbers sent to the US.
For an overview of A2P 10DLC and answers to many common questions, see What is A2P 10DLC?
Note : Effective July 5, 2023, all 10DLC phone numbers used to send SMS and MMS messages to U.S. phone numbers must be fully registered to an approved campaign under your brand. Messages sent using unregistered phone numbers will be subject to a gradual increase of message blocking by Twilio, beginning on July 5, 2023, ultimately leading to a full block of all unregistered U.S.-bound messages sent after August 31, 2023.
- A2P 10DLC Pricing Overview
- Registration Fees
- Carrier Fees
A2P 10DLC Pricing Overview
There are two categories of fees associated with A2P 10DLC: registration fees, and per-message carrier fees. Both types of fees are charged by carriers as part of the A2P 10DLC system, and are passed through by Twilio to our customers with no added cost.
Registration fees are applied when registering your US A2P Brand and your A2P Use Case, the moment they are registered with TCR.
Carrier fees are charged by carriers for A2P 10DLC messages sent to users on their networks. These fees are applied in addition to Twilio’s standard US Messaging pricing. In general, the fees are applied for each outbound SMS segment or MMS message. T-Mobile (including Sprint) also applies fees to inbound SMS and MMS.
Please see below for a full breakdown of the fees associated with A2P 10DLC.
US A2P Sole Proprietor Brand registration fee: $4 one-time registration fee (no Secondary Vetting for A2P 10DLC).
US A2P Low Volume Standard Brand registration fee: $4 one-time registration fee (no Secondary Vetting for A2P 10DLC).
US A2P Standard Brand registration fee: $44 one-time registration fee (includes Secondary Vetting for A2P 10DLC).
- Note: Brand creation fee is charged at the time of creation with TCR and your Brand may still be in an unverified state. To avoid additional charges follow troubleshooting steps here if your Brand is in an unverified state.
- As of August 23rd, 2023, appeal-based, manual revetting of a submitted Brand will entail a $10 fee, over and above the fees normally charged for Brand submission. For more information on when this is applies, please see our product documentation on Resubmitting Standard/LVS Brands.
If you’re an individual or small business without a Tax ID (EIN), please see New Changes to Sole Proprietor Brands FAQ for more details on how to register.
- If you have a Tax ID (EIN) and low traffic requirement (less than 6,000 messages per day), Low Volume Standard Brands can be used for mixed messaging campaigns with multiple use cases, multiple numbers per campaign, and higher throughput than Sole Prop.
- If you have a Tax ID (EIN) and higher traffic requirement (more than 6,000 messages per day), Standard Brands can be used for multiple use cases, multiple numbers per campaign, and higher throughput.
- For a full overview of the different Brand registration offerings, see our Comparison between Sole Prop, Low Volume Standard, and Standard registration for A2P 10DLC.
US A2P Campaign use case registration fees: $15 one-time registration fee at the time of vetting.
US A2P Recurring Monthly Campaign registration fees:
|Campaign use case type||Cost**|
|Sole Prop (Starter)||$2/month|
|Standard (see Table 1 here)||$10/month|
|Low-volume* mixed use case||$1.50/month|
|Special: Charity / 501(c)(3) Nonprofit||$3/month|
|Special: Emergency Services||$5/month|
- Low Volume Mixed use cases support up to 2,000 SMS segments and MMS per day toward T-Mobile (see T-Mobile daily limits), and are given a lower message throughput (MPS) than other use cases, regardless of Trust Score.
- The Campaign use case registration fee is billed at time of approval, then as a renewal fee for the same amount each month, unless the Campaign is deactivated/deleted.
- For details about campaign use cases, see List of campaign use case types for A2P 10DLC registration.
AT&T Carrier Fees
Effective June 1, 2023, fees for all long code messages to AT&T:
- $0.002 per registered outbound SMS message segment
- $0.0035 per registered outbound MMS message
- $0.01 per unregistered outbound SMS message segment
- $0.015 per unregistered outbound MMS message
T-Mobile Carrier Fees (including Sprint)
Effective August 1, 2023, fees for all long code messages to T-Mobile/Sprint:
- $0.003 per registered outbound/inbound SMS message segment
- $0.01 per registered outbound/inbound MMS message
- $0.006 per unregistered outbound/inbound SMS message segment
- $0.015 per unregistered outbound/inbound MMS message
T-Mobile acquired the Sprint network in 2020. Some devices still appear as "Sprint" in a Lookup. Messages sent to these users will have the same fees as other messages to T-Mobile.
Verizon Wireless Carrier Fees
Verizon introduced A2P 10DLC fees in January 2019 (for details, see here). In September 2022, Verizon increased these fees. Following other U.S. carriers raising fees for unregistered messages to encourage 10DLC registration, Verizon will increase its per-message rate on unregistered traffic, effective July 1, 2023.
Effective July 1, 2023, fees for all long code messages to Verizon:
- $0.003 per registered outbound/inbound SMS message segment
- $0.005 per registered outbound/inbound MMS message
- $0.01 per unregistered outbound/inbound SMS message segment
- $0.005 per unregistered outbound/inbound MMS message
Where can I review charges I’ve incurred?
See Reading your Twilio Invoice for details on how to read your Twilio invoice. Your invoice will show you the aggregate usage per fee across all your subaccounts and throughout all days of the month. How to Read the Twilio Invoice CSV Supplement explains how to use the CSV supplement, which also provides a split of fees per subaccount. Review your Twilio project usage and metrics explains how to use the Usage API or view the Usage page in Console.
Based on the type of Brand(s) and Campaign(s) registered, the exact name of the fees may differ on your invoice.