Notice: Sole Proprietor A2P 10DLC Registration Launches April 17, 2023
On April 17, 2023, Twilio will be re-launching the Sole Proprietor Brand registration offering (formerly known as “Starter Brand”) in accordance with the new industry guidelines for sending low-volume messaging.
• If you’re an individual or small business without a Tax ID (EIN), please see New Changes to Sole Proprietor Brands FAQ for more details on how to register prior to April 17th.
• If you have a Tax ID (EIN) and low traffic requirement (less than 6,000 messages per day), Low Volume Standard Brands can be used for mixed messaging campaigns with multiple use cases, multiple numbers per campaign, and higher throughput than Sole Prop.
• If you have a Tax ID (EIN) and higher traffic requirement (more than 6,000 messages per day), Standard Brands can be used for multiple use cases, multiple numbers per campaign, and higher throughput.
• For a full overview of the different Brand registration offerings, see our Comparison between Sole Prop, Low Volume Standard, and Standard registration for A2P 10DLC.
New Requirements for A2P 10DLC Registrations
Effective January 26, 2023, new A2P Campaign registrations are subject to a new vetting process, which includes a one-time $15 campaign vetting fee. For more information, visit our FAQ on A2P 10DLC Campaign Vetting Changes - January 2023.
As an ISV-type customer, you will have three options for registering your clients for A2P 10DLC: Sole Proprietor, Low Volume Standard, or Standard. When registering each of your clients, you can choose which registration type is appropriate for that client. Many ISV customers will end up with a mix of registration types for their clients.
- Comparison table - Sole Proprietor vs. Standard A2P 10DLC registration
- Sole Proprietor Brand and Campaign - details
- Standard Brand and Campaign(s) - details
Comparison table - Sole Proprietor vs. Standard A2P 10DLC registration
|Sole Prop registration (available April 17th)||Low Volume Standard registration||Standard registration|
|Registration Cost||$4 one-time fee for Brand, $15 one-time fee for Campaign Vetting, monthly $2/month Campaign fee||$4 one-time fee for Brand, $15 one-time fee for Campaign Vetting, monthly Campaign cost varies by use case - see here||$44 one-time fee for Brand, $15 one-time fee for Campaign Vetting, monthly Campaign cost varies by use case - see here|
|Monthly Campaign Fees*||$2/month||Low Volume Mixed Campaign $1.5/month||Campaign cost varies by use case - see here, Standard Campaign $10/month|
|Registration Information Required||First/last name of client, contact phone number, email address, Customers with EIN number are NOT ELIGIBLE for Sole Prop||Business information, incl. US EIN number or non-US business registration number||Business information, incl. US EIN number or non-US business registration number|
|Number of Twilio phone Numbers Permitted||1||> 1||> 1|
|Number of SMS Segments and MMS (total) Per Day||Up to 3,000 to US, based on hard limit of 1,000 per day to T-Mobile||Up to 6,000 to US, based on a hard limit of 2,000/day to T-Mobile||Up to 200,000/day to T-Mobile, based on Trust Score - see here|
|Message Per Second (MPS) Throughput Toward US||1||3.75 toward major US networks - see here||Up to 225 toward major US networks, based on Trust Score - see here|
* Monthly Campaign fees vary by Brand registration type and Campaign use case. For full details on Campaign pricing see What Pricing and Fees are associated with the A2P 10DLC Service?
Sole Proprietor Brand and Campaign (Available April 17th) - details
Sole Proprietor Brand registration will be available April 17th available for individuals or small businesses without a tax ID sending low-volume messaging. Sole proprietor brands are limited to 1 Campaign, 1 phone number per Campaign, and a throughput limit of 1 MPS.
Sole Proprietor brand registration will be available for $4 USD. Campaign registrations have a one-time $15 Campaign vetting fee and a re-occurring monthly fee. See here for pricing details. New Sole Proprietor campaigns will be subject to the changes in the Campaign Creation process, as well as the newly introduced vetting process.
Low Volume Standard Brand and Campaign(s) - details
Low Volume Standard Brands can be used for mixed messaging campaigns with multiple use cases and multiple numbers per campaign. Low Volume Standard Brand registration will be available for $4 USD. Campaign registration fees that used to be $50/campaign setup will be waived. (Note that Standard Brand and campaign registrations were previously available for $94 USD.) Low Volume Mixed use case campaigns have a one-time $15 registration fee and a re-occurring monthly fee. See here for pricing details.
Standard Brand and Campaign(s) - details
A Standard Brand is a "full" registration for any business who needs to send more than 6,000 SMS segments and MMS per day to the United States (or more than 2,000 per day to T-Mobile users).
Under a Standard Brand, you may register one or more use cases (Campaigns). Each Campaign will have separate throughput (MPS) based on the use case and the Brand's Trust Score. In addition, the Brand as a whole will have a certain daily message limit, also based on Trust Score.
Standard Brands entail a one-time Brand registration fee, with recurring Campaign registration fees depending on use case. See here for pricing details.