In addition to our existing two-factor authentication (2FA) timeout and security options, we also allow users to select their preferred method for receiving 2FA verification codes. This guide explains how to change the 2FA method for your login.
Notice: 2FA is required for paid Twilio accounts. The 2FA frequency for an account can be updated from the Settings pages in Console. For full details, see Enable Two-Factor Authentication on your Twilio Account.
2FA method options
Twilio supports the following methods for receiving 2FA verification codes:
- SMS text message
- Voice call
- 2FA authenticator app
Notice: Once 2FA is enabled, users can freely switch between these options at the 2FA code request screen after logging in. Users cannot, however, switch between 2FA apps without being logged in.
Change your 2FA method
- Access the User Settings page in Console.
- Verification code sent to your email address is required to access the user setting page. Once you receive the code, please enter the code and click “Verify”.
- Go to the “Two-factor authentication (2FA)” section and click “Edit”.
- Click “Edit” next to the “How do you want to receive your 2FA code?” to update the phone based verification method.
- Select the desired 2FA method. Click "Save" to save your selection.
- Through a text message: Receive 2FA authentication codes via SMS.
- Through a voice call: Receive 2FA authentication codes via an automated Voice call.
- To change your 2FA method to authenticator app, you need to set up 2FA in a TOTP Authenticator app following steps here.