You can add recording to your calls in multiple ways with Twilio. Also Twilio stores the recordings for you unless you remove them. Voice recording is billed by the minute and storage over 10,000 minutes per project is billed by the minute, once a month.
A few notes about recording storage:
- Each project gets 10,000 minutes stored for free. Subaccounts do not get additional storage.
- Each recording minute above 10,000 will be charged $0.0005 per minute, per month. The charge will occur at the end of the month, based on your average storage for that month.
- Recording storage costs are calculated by rounding the duration of each recording up to the next minute. For example, three recordings of five seconds each will count together as three minutes, not 15 seconds.
- To see how many recording minutes are stored in your project, you can view your logs in your dashboard. Your project will only be charged if it averages more than 10,000 minutes for the entire month.
- Volume pricing is available for recording storage.
Now let's look at an example. Suppose you recorded 8,000 minutes each month and didn't regularly delete those recordings stored in your Twilio project:
- Your first month, you'll be billed for the per-minute recording feature ($0.0025*8,000=$20). Although your total storage finished at 8,000, your average for the month might be close to 4,000, because you started at zero minutes stored. Your project would not be charged for recording storage since the first 10,000 minutes of storage is free.
- By the end of the second month you'd have 16,000 minutes stored. It turns out that the average storage amount for the month is close to 12,000 minutes as you've been steadily adding to your storage. In addition to $20 for recording 8,000 minutes this month, your project would now be charged $1.00 for the extra 2,000 minutes over the 10,00 free minutes you now have stored with Twilio ($0.0005 *2,000 minutes).
- The third month, you'd be up to 24,000 minutes stored. You are billed $20 for recording and since your monthly storage average is 20,000 minutes, you are billed $5 for storage. Looks like you'd better start deleting your old recordings! Time to write an looping API query and delete script! If you can delete some recordings before the month ends, you can bring your monthly average substantially down and avoid some or all of these charges.
For information on pricing for all of Twilio's services, please see our pricing page.
Notice: Call recording is included with paid Twilio Flex plans at no additional cost. Recording storage fees would still apply, however. For more information, please see How Does Twilio Flex Pricing Work.
Legal implications of call recording
If you choose to record calls, you need to comply with certain laws and regulations, including those regarding obtaining consent to record (such as California’s Invasion of Privacy Act and similar laws in other jurisdictions). Additional information on the legal implications of call recording can be found here.
Notice: Twilio recommends that you consult with your legal counsel to make sure that you are complying with all applicable laws in connection with communications you record or store using Twilio.