You can add recording to your calls in multiple ways with Twilio. Also Twilio stores the recordings for you unless you remove them. Voice recording is billed by the minute and storage over 10,000 minutes per account is billed by the minute, once a month.
A few notes about recording storage:
- Each account gets 10,000 minutes stored for free. Subaccounts do not get additional storage.
- Each recording minute above 10,000 will be charged $0.0005 per minute, per month. The charge will occur at the end of the month, based on your average storage for that month.
- Recording storage costs are calculated by rounding the duration of each recording up to the next minute. For example, three recordings of five seconds each will count together as three minutes, not 15 seconds.
- To see how many recording minutes are stored in your account, you can view your logs in your account dashboard. Your account will only be charged if it averages more than 10,000 minutes for the entire month.
- Volume pricing is available for recording storage.
Now let's look at an example. Suppose you recorded 8,000 minutes each month and didn't regularly delete those recordings stored in your Twilio account:
- Your first month, you'll be billed for the per-minute recording feature ($0.0025*8,000=$20). Although your total storage finished at 8,000, your average for the month might be close to 4,000, because you started at zero minutes stored. Your account would not be charged for recording storage since the first 10,000 minutes of storage is free.
- By the end of the second month you'd have 16,000 minutes stored. It turns out that the average storage amount for the month is close to 12,000 minutes as you've been steadily adding to your storage. In addition to $20 for recording 8,000 minutes this month, your account would now be charged $1.00 for the extra 2,000 minutes over the 10,00 free minutes you now have stored with Twilio ($0.0005 *2,000 minutes).
- The third month, you'd be up to 24,000 minutes stored. You are billed $20 for recording and since your monthly storage average is 20,000 minutes, you are billed $5 for storage. Looks like you'd better start deleting your old recordings! Time to write an looping API query and delete script! If you can delete some recordings before the month ends, you can bring your monthly average substantially down and avoid some or all of these charges.
You can delete your recordings at any time or move them to alternative storage.</>
For information on pricing for all of Twilio's services, please see our pricing page.