Notice: Shutdown of Unregistered 10DLC Messaging
• Effective September 1, 2023, all SMS and MMS messages sent to US phone numbers from unregistered 10DLC phone numbers will be fully blocked.
• 10DLC phone numbers must be fully registered to an approved Campaign under your Brand.
• This registration deadline took effect on July 5, 2023 with unregistered phone numbers subject to a gradual increase of message blocking by Twilio, leading to a full block of all unregistered U.S.-bound messages sent on September 1, 2023.
• For more information, visit our Shutdown of Unregistered 10DLC Messaging FAQ
A2P 10DLC registration is available through the Trust Hub (in the Twilio Console) for account Owners and Admins to complete – click here to get started. If you are an ISV-type customer, you can also register yourself and your clients via our registration API.
Notice: Only account Owners and Admins have access to submit A2P 10DLC registrations. Users without proper access (Developers, Billing, Support users) will see a 502 Bad Gateway or 403 access error.
Registration is required for all customers sending messaging traffic to the United States using long code numbers.
Extensive details on deadlines, fees, and frequently asked questions are provided in What is A2P 10DLC?
The onboarding process will be slightly different, depending on whether your business is a “direct brand” business or an Independent Software Vendor (ISV). Read on to determine which one applies to you.
- Is your business a direct brand, or an ISV?
- I’m using SMS for a small business or a personal project. What should I do?
- What information do I need in order to register?
- I think I completed registration, but I am not sure if all of my messaging is registered. How can I make sure?
Is your business a direct brand, or an ISV?
This article provides a quick overview of direct vs. ISV-type customers. For a more detailed description, see Am I a direct customer or an ISV (for A2P 10DLC registration)?
Your company sends messages for your own products and services. For example, you are Shoe Company A and you send messages related to your products, order updates, etc.
Please see here for our complete Direct Brand onboarding guide: Direct Brand U.S. A2P 10DLC Onboarding Guide
Independent Software Vendor (ISV)
Your company provides messaging services to other businesses, who have their own brands. For example, a company that provides communication services to hair salons or hotels is an ISV.
Twilio will be offering the following options for registering your customers:
- Sole Proprietor Brand: For individuals or small businesses without a Tax ID (EIN), Sole Proprietor Brand registration became available on April 17th for low volume traffic. For more information on this offering see New Changes to A2P 10DLC Starter Brands FAQ.
- Low Volume Standard Brand: For clients with a Tax ID (EIN) sending less than 6,000 SMS segments and MMS per day to the United States. The Low Volume Standard Brands allow Low Volume Mixed Messaging campaigns, multiple numbers per campaign, higher throughput, and lower filtering. These clients are registered via the process outlined in ISV Onboarding Guide, including complete US A2P Brand and Campaign Use Case registration.
- Standard Brand: For clients with a Tax ID (EIN) sending greater than 6,000 SMS segments and MMS a day to the United States. Standard Brands allow for all campaign types, multiple numbers per campaign, higher throughput, and lower filtering. These clients are registered via the process outlined in ISV Onboarding Guide, including complete US A2P Brand and Campaign Use Case registration.
Please see here for our complete ISV onboarding guide: ISV U.S. A2P 10DLC Onboarding Guide
Still not sure if you are a direct or ISV? See Am I a direct customer or an ISV (for A2P 10DLC registration)?
I’m using SMS for a small business or a personal project. What should I do?
If you’re an individual or small business without a Tax ID (EIN), you can register for a Sole Proprietor Brands. Please see New Changes to Sole Proprietor Brands FAQ for more details on how to register.
If you have a Tax ID (EIN) and low traffic requirement (less than 6,000 messages per day), Low Volume Standard Brands can be used for mixed messaging campaigns with multiple use cases, multiple numbers per campaign, and higher throughput than Sole Prop.
What information do I need in order to register?
I think I completed registration, but I am not sure if all of my messaging is registered. How can I make sure?
You can utilize the Twilio Console to verify your US A2P 10DLC registration status here
For further information, Please see How do I check that I have completed US A2P 10DLC registration?
Where can I learn more about the A2P 10DLC registration process?
For more resources on the A2P 10DLC registration process please visit https://twil.io/understanding-a2p-10dlc.
Here you'll find additional resources including:
- Full video overview on Understanding A2P 10DLC
- Background on A2P 10DLC
- Who needs to register for A2P 10DLC?
- Overview of the A2P 10DLC registration process
- How to register for A2P 10DLC with Twilio