As per regulations from Ofcom, some outbound calls to UK mobile phone carriers may be billed at surchage rates beginning on August 30, 2021. This guide explains where these changes are occurring, and how to identify them.
The surcharge applies to outbound calls made to UK mobile phone numbers from these carriers:
This information will be updated if the surcharge is implemented by additional providers.
Affected call types
The following call types made to UK Mobile numbers may be charged at a surcharge:
Calls made from an international phone number from a country in the surcharge list: These calls will be charged with new surcharge billable items in place of standard "UK Mobile" billable items.
Notice: If you place calls from the UK, EU, United States & Canada, or from another country with no surcharge, then there is no change. See the list below for surchage countries.
Calls made with modified, missing, invalid, incorrectly formatted, or Anonymous caller-IDs: These may include the following type of calls:
- Any call with
anonymousas the calling number
- UK numbers (+44) that are invalid numbers.
- Any calls having an international calling number with an incorrect format.
- Any calls with dummy calling numbers, including the use of usernames as the CLI.
How can I identify surcharges?
Surcharge pricing can be identified by the following billable Items:
- Programmable Outbound Minute - United Kingdom - Mobile - from SurchargeZone1
- Programmable Outbound Minute - United Kingdom - Mobile - from SurchargeZone2
- Trunking Outbound Minute - United Kingdom - Mobile - from SurchargeZone1
- Trunking Outbound Minute - United Kingdom - Mobile - from SurchargeZone2
What do I need to do?
To avoid your calls being billed at a surcharge, we recommend the following actions:
- Ensure that your calls comply with the Caller-ID restrictions mentioned above.
- Use an outbound
Fromnumber for making these calls that is based in a country with no surcharge like UK, EU, US, Canada, etc. For help finding a phone number from a no surchage country, see How to Search for and Buy a Twilio Phone Number from Console.
For help changing your outgoing caller ID, see the following resources:
Which countries fall under the surcharge list?
|Zone 1 Countries||Zone 2 Countries|