WhatsApp has announced that they are updating their Business Terms on October 29, 2020. These changes apply to you if you continue to use WhatsApp's products and services through Twilio on after that date.
We believe these changes are most relevant to businesses based in Europe, as they mainly relate to clarifying how data is stored and transferred, including data transfer between Europe and the United States.
What do you need to know?
To help businesses better understand their rights and responsibilities when using WhatsApp's Business Services, WhatsApp is updating the Business Terms, summarized as follows:
- WhatsApp is clarifying details of the already existing data deletion practices in WhatsApp's Business Terms.
- WhatsApp is replacing Privacy Shield with Standard Contractual Clauses in a new Data Transfer Addendum.
- WhatsApp is adding Data Security Terms that explain how data is kept secure at their data processing facilities.
WhatsApp Updated Terms for Pre-Read
The new terms will go live on WhatsApp's website on October 29. Until then, you may view the relevant documents in PDF format below:
- WhatsApp Business Data Processing Terms
- WhatsApp Business Data Security Terms
- WhatsApp Business Data Transfer Addendum
- WhatsApp Business Terms of Service
These changes will be effective October 29, 2020, 5PM UTC/10AM PT. To view the currently-effective version, go to WhatsApp Business Terms of Service.