In addition, WhatsApp permits sender transfers between WhatsApp Business Accounts (WABAs), so if you signed up for WhatsApp using the WhatsApp Business API outside of Twilio (either directly with WhatsApp, or through a different Business Solution Provider (BSP)), you can now move that existing WhatsApp Business number and templates to the Twilio platform. See below for details.
Notice: Phone Numbers can only be migrated between WABAs that are associated with the same Meta Business Manager account. It is not possible to migrate numbers between WABAs that have different Meta Business Manager IDs.
Moving an existing WhatsApp mobile or small business app number to Twilio
If your number was activated for WhatsApp using one of the WhatsApp mobile apps, and not the Business API, there are two ways to achieve this:
- Host or port the number to Twilio, and then proceed with the standard WhatsApp onboarding process
- (If you are eligible) Utilize our "Bring Your Own Number" offering.
For details and eligibility requirements for both of these options, see Can I activate my own phone number for WhatsApp on Twilio?
If these options do not work for you, we recommend buying a Twilio phone number to activate for WhatsApp. Many types of Twilio phone numbers can be enabled for WhatsApp messaging, even if they are not SMS-capable. For more info, see Which Twilio Phone Numbers are Compatible with WhatsApp?
Moving an existing WhatsApp Business API number and templates to Twilio
If you signed up for WhatsApp using the WhatsApp Business API outside of Twilio (either directly with WhatsApp, or through a different BSP) then Twilio can assist you in transferring your WhatsApp Business number into Twilio, along with all high-quality templates associated with your existing WhatsApp Business account. "High-quality" templates refer to approved templates that are not marked by WhatsApp as low quality due to user blocks or spam complaints. Upon a successful migration, the transferred number retains its display name, messaging limit tier, quality rating, and Official Business Account status. Pending templates and rejected templates will not be migrated.
Warning: Due to high demand and the manual nature of this process, WABA to WABA migrations may take multiple weeks.
How the WABA to WABA migration works
A WABA to WABA migration is only possible between WABAs that were created with the same Meta Business Manager ID. The migration process involves the following steps:
- Engaging your provider to disable the 2FA pin code on the origin number
- Engaging Twilio to migrate the number from the destination WABA to the origin WABA
- Participating in a live call or chat session to provide Twilio with an SMS/voice pin code from Meta
There are some prerequisites and restrictions that must be adhered to before we can perform a WABA to WABA transfer. Please read carefully below to avoid any issues:
- Meta Business Verification must be completed
- Origin WABA and destination WABA must have the same Meta Business Manager ID
There are two ways of moving your existing WhatsApp Business API number to Twilio, depending on the type of WABA that you have:
Guided Signup: You have a WABA created by and managed by Twilio. If you are an ISV (you are sending messages on behalf of another business) or working with an ISV, then this onboarding method applies to you. To migrate your WhatsApp number on Guided Signup, please Submit a Ticket in Console with the following information:
- The number you will be bringing to Twilio
- The provider that is currently being used
- Your Twilio account SID that you want to migrate the number to
- Your WABA ID
- Your Meta Business Manager ID
- Denote that this is for a guided signup WABA
- Self sign-up: You have a WABA that you created and is managed by Twilio. This is the default onboarding method for customers who are sending messages on behalf of their own business (known as Direct customers). To migrate your WhatsApp number on Self sign-up, please see this guide.