There are two types of phone numbers listed within your Twilio project, verified phone numbers and Twilio phone numbers. Each has different acquisition methods, costs, and capabilities through Twilio. Please read on for full details.
Twilio Phone Numbers
- Acquisition: Twilio phone numbers must be purchased through Twilio's Console site or the REST API. Twilio will operate this number on your behalf.
- Cost: Twilio has a regular recurring charge for this number, and will bill your account monthly.
- Capabilities: Twilio phone number capabilities are visible before you purchase a phone number. Once you own a Twilio number on your project, the capabilities will be listed in the Console Manage Numbers page.
Verified Phone Numbers
- Acquisition: A verified phone number is one that you have acquired through a means other than directly from Twilio. This number has not been ported into Twilio, and will continue to be serviced by the original provider.
- Cost: You do not pay Twilio for this phone number, only your original provider.
- Capabilities: Verified phone numbers can only be used as a Caller ID for placing outbound calls. Outgoing SMS and MMS messages are not supported. Incoming calls and messages will continue to route through your original provider.