This article contains the latest customer advisory Twilio sent to our customers via email about A2P 10DLC on June 22, 2021. We will update this page each time a new advisory is sent.
- Detailed Registration Updates (Direct Customers)
- Detailed Registration Updates (ISV customers)
- Fee Updates
Summary for direct customers (sending messages on behalf of their own business):
- Direct customers who have already been invited to onboard, and who are using subaccounts, should complete A2P Brand registration on their primary Twilio account by July 9, 2021. This will enable Twilio to share your Primary Business Profile to your subaccounts automatically in mid to late July, which will streamline your registration process for any Campaign Use Cases on your subaccounts.
- Direct customers who have not yet received an invitation to onboard should continue to wait for an email from Twilio to invite you to begin onboarding. We are still in a phased onboarding process for our customers.
- Direct customers whose businesses are based outside of the US cannot yet register for A2P 10DLC for the US. We will reach out to you when the system is ready for you to begin registration.
- If you meet the conditions for a Special Use Case (including 501c3, political, government, and emergency services), wait for further instruction before registering your 10-digit long codes. We will provide more registration guidelines as they become available.
Summary for ISV customers (sending messages on behalf of their clients):
- ISV customers will have access to an additional option ("Starter Brands") for registering their smaller clients. Twilio will cover registration fees for these clients.
Detailed Registration Updates (Direct Customers)
Under the new A2P 10DLC system in the United States, sending SMS and MMS via local 10-digit long codes to the U.S. requires you to register your business and use cases. Complete onboarding now before heightened filtering and penalties apply. Registration is open and only takes a few minutes to complete - get started here.
If you are a “direct brand” (a company sending messages as yourself, and not on behalf of other businesses) with messaging use cases spread out across subaccounts, please be sure your Primary Business Profile and Brand Registration is complete by July 9, 2021. Twilio will automatically apply this registration across your subaccounts between July 15 and July 30. You will be notified when this occurs, allowing you to register any messaging traffic on your subaccounts.
Please also note the following if any of these apply to you:
- If you do not want your Primary Business Profile for A2P 10DLC to be shared to your Twilio subaccounts, please contact Twilio Support.
- If you have tried to register for A2P 10DLC and you encountered an error during registration, please contact Twilio Support.
- If you are an ISV (sending messages on behalf of other businesses) and not a “direct brand” customer, please contact Twilio Support so we can ensure you receive ISV-specific communications moving forward. The A2P 10DLC onboarding process for ISVs is different than the process for direct brand customers.
Note: If you meet the conditions for a Special Use Case (including 501c3, political, government, and emergency services), wait for further instruction before registering your 10-digit long codes. We will provide more registration guidelines as they become available.
Detailed Registration Updates (ISV customers)
We are excited to announce that ISV customers will have access to the newly agreed-upon “Starter Brand” registration option and API for your smaller clients.
- This will allow you to register your customers sending fewer than 3,000 daily outbound SMS segments and MMS messages to the U.S. and using less than 5 local long codes, via a simpler verification process.
- We will cover all registration fees for these customers when utilizing Twilio’s Trust Hub and APIs to register. You will only need to pay the per message fees.
Read more about the new requirements in our blog post, “A2P 10DLC ISV Starter Brands: Messaging that’s accessible to businesses of all sizes,” and review our Starter Preview documentation to begin your planning efforts. The Starter Brand APIs are projected to be available August 16, 2021. We will keep you informed on timing over the coming weeks.
Under this new system, you will have two options for registering your customers:
- [New] Starter Brand: a client sending fewer than 3,000 SMS message segments and MMS a day to the United States. These clients can be registered with reduced customer data, and no Brand and Campaign registration fees.
- [Available Now] Standard Brand: a client sending greater than 3,000 SMS segments and MMS a day to the United States. These clients are registered via the process we have already published, including complete US A2P Brand and Campaign Use Case registration. You can begin using the Standard A2P 10DLC APIs, or Trust Hub interface, to register your customers today.
- There are no new fees announced at this time. For a complete list of the costs associated with A2P 10DLC, please review our pricing and fees support article.