Twilio Notify allows you to send notification messages to multiple users, over different communication channels, all from the same unified API. With a single API request, you can connect with contacts using SMS, mobile apps, Facebook Messenger, and more. You can even specify preferred channels for reaching certain users, or segment and tag users for more granular sending capabilities.
Below is a simple introduction for getting started with Twilio Notify. For further information, please refer to the full Twilio Notify API documentation.
Notify Service Requirements
Before creating a Twilio Notify service, at least one of the desired communication channels will need to be configured. Please follow the instructions below for enabling messages to each of the desired platforms:
- Text Message: Create a Twilio Programmable SMS Messaging Service
- iOS apps: Configure Apple Push Notification service (APNs)
- Android apps: Configure Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM, formerly Google Cloud Messaging)
- Facebook Messenger (Preview): Configure Facebook Messenger
- Amazon Alexa (Preview): Request Access to the Alexa Channel
Create a New Twilio Notify Service
New services in Twilio Notify can be created from Console, or the REST API:
- Create a new Twilio Notify service from Console
- Login to your account at www.twilio.com.
- From the left side navigation bar, click Notify .
- Click Services, and then select the + sign icon to create a new Notify service.
- Enter the desired Notify service name in the FRIENDLY NAME field, and then click Create.
- Configure the Notify service as desired, and then click Save.
- Select your credentials from the drop-down menu for each of the desired communication channels.
- Click the Logging settings checkbox to enable or disable logs for each notification request.
- Create a new Twilio Notify service from the REST API
For information on creating, modifying, or deleting a Twilio Notify service via the REST API, please see the full Twilio Notify Services API Resource documentation.
Create a New Twilio Notify User
Contacts are registered to a Twilio Notify service by creating an Identity. If desired, up to 20 Segments can also be specified to categorize individual user identities into groups for more granular sending options.
Notify Users are managed via the REST API. For further information, please refer to the full Twilio Notify Users API Resource documentation.
Create a New Twilio Notify User Binding
Notify User identities can have up to 20 different address Bindings across multiple communication channels. Further customization is available in the form of up to 5 Tags per Identity, allowing for greater granularity when sending Notifications.
User Identity bindings are managed via the REST API. For further information, please refer to the full Twilio Notify Bindings API Resource documentation.